Have you ever tried enchiladas before? If you haven’t already, you must. It is delicious food you must try at least once. If you have, you probably already know how tasty it is. Here, we will give you the recipe to make delicious chicken enchiladas. Don’t worry. Making enchiladas in your kitchen is not as difficult as it sounds.
You can use various meats, including chicken, to use as the main ingredient of enchiladas. Of course, we can’t tell every recipe for every meat here. We will focus on one specific meat only: chicken. Alright, let’s start now.
About the Recipe
- Recipe difficulty: intermediate
- Time to complete: approximately 1 hour 15 minutes (1 hour to prepare and 15 minutes of cooking)
- Yield: 16 enchiladas
Ingredients You Need
- 1/2 teaspoon of all-purpose flour
- 1, or about 28 ounces, of can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup of frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of Mexican Spice Blend
- 1 cup of Jack and Cheddar cheeses (shredded)
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
- 1 1/2 cups of canned enchilada sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 canned chipotle chilies (seeded then minced)
- 5 canned whole green chilies (seeded then coarsely chopped)
- 16 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the garnish, use chopped tomatoes, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro leaves, and sour cream The above are the ingredients you need to make chicken enchiladas. Below are the steps to make the enchiladas.
Steps to Make a Tasty Enchilada
I. Preparing Chicken and Vegetable
- Prepare a sauté pan by coating it with oil. Use salt and pepper to season the chicken.
- Over medium heat, brown the chicken meat for about 7 minutes. Brown both sides of the meat. Sprinkle the meat with Mexican spices, garlic powder, and cumin before turning it.
- Remove the chicken meat and place it on a platter.
- Saute garlic and onion until tender in chicken drippings. Add chilies and corn. Stir them until mixed well. Add tomatoes and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Use your hand to pull the chicken breasts and make shredded strips. Add the strips to the pan and mix with vegetables. Take the flour and dust the mixture with it.
II. Preparing Tortillas
- Put the tortillas into the microwave. Set it on high for 30 seconds. This should make the tortillas softer and more pliable.
- Prepare two 13 x 9-inch pans and coat it with enchilada sauce.
- Take a large shallow bowl and pour enchilada sauce on it. Lightly coat each tortilla by dipping them in the sauce.
- Use a tablespoon and take about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture. Put the mixture onto each tortilla. Fold over the filling and put 8 enchiladas in each pan that have been prepared earlier. Seam side down. Top the tortillas with cheese and enchilada sauce.
III. Cooking Enchiladas
- To cook the enchiladas, first preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the tortillas in it for about 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- When done, garnish them with chopped tomatoes, chopped scallions, chopped cilantro leaves, and sour cream.
- Serve with beans and Spanish rice.
About Enchiladas Nutrition
Per serving, the enchilada contains 383 calories, 13 grams of total fat, 4 grams of saturated fats, 63 milligrams of cholesterol, 1212 milligrams of sodium, 39 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of dietary fiber, 29 grams of protein, and 7 grams of sugar.
There are various versions of enchiladas: restaurant, frozen, refrigerated and homemade. Among these versions, the homemade enchilada is the healthiest. Why? Because with a homemade enchilada, you can control the number of ingredients you use. Therefore, the nutritional content is for you to decide.
Can I Make Enchilada Healthier?
Of course, you can. If you want to make it healthier, reduce the portion of a serving, the amount of sodium and the amount of fat. You can reduce the amount of sodium by using less salt. As for the fat, use poached chicken breast and reduced-fat cheeses.
So, what do you think? Are you interested in making our own chicken enchiladas? We certainly hope so. Enchilada with chicken as the main ingredient is tasty food. It can be a healthy one, too. Now that you know how to make one, you can always prepare this tasty food anytime you want.