There is no such thing as enchilada without enchiladas sauce. You need the sauce to make it enchilada. If you make your own enchiladas, there are two ways to get the sauce: buy a store-bought sauce or make it on your own.
Store-bought sauces are easy to use and convenient. However, in terms of taste and freshness, a homemade is always better. Here, we will tell you a quick and easy way to make a tasty sauce for your enchiladas. Alright, let’s start!
About the Recipe
- Recipe difficulty: Very Easy
- Time to complete: 25 minutes (10 minutes preparation, 15 minutes cooking)
- Yields: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup of California or New Mexico chili powder
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion salt
- 1 can (about 8 ounces) of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of self-rising flour
- Salt to taste
- To make enchiladas sauce, the first thing to do is to prepare a skillet. Pour the vegetable oil on it and set the heat to medium-high.
- Next, stir in chili powder and flour. While you stir in the mixture, reduce the heat to medium. Keep stirring until the mixture becomes lightly brown. Don’t stop stirring. If you stop, the flour will burn.
- After the mixture becomes lightly brown, stir in onion salt, garlic powder, cumin, water, and tomato sauce. Do this gradually. Add the other ingredients one by one.
- Keep cooking and stirring over medium heat. Wait until the mixture thickened slightly. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add salt to taste.
Per serving, the sauce contains 10.1 grams of total fat (2 grams being saturated fat), 408 milligrams of sodium, 232 milligrams of potassium, 7 grams of total carbohydrates (2.4 grams being dietary fiber), 1.4 grams of protein, 2 grams of sugar, and 15 mcg of folate.
The sauce also contains vitamins and mineral. Per serving, it contains 1,701IU of Vitamin A, 6 milligrams of vitamin C, 31 milligrams of calcium, 1 milligram of iron, 1 milligram of niacin, and 17 milligrams of magnesium.
- Want to make the sauce gluten-free? Just switch the self-rising flour with all-purpose flour with no gluten content.
- The garlic powder, cumin and chili powder are important for the sauce. You can’t make the sauce without these ingredients. As for the other ingredients, you can switch them with other spices and make the sauce more personalized.
Saving the Sauce for Later
What if there is a lot of sauce left or you want to make the sauce for later occasions? In that case, you
can save the sauce for later. There are two things you can do to save the sauce for later occasions: put it on the refrigerator or freezer.
If you store the sauce in the refrigerator, it should last up to a week. If you store the sauce in the freezer, it should last longer than that assuming you put the sauce in a safe container. Either way, don’t forget to thaw and reheat the sauce before use, especially if you put it in a freezer.
Why Make Your Own Sauce?
You may wonder why you should make your own sauce for enchiladas. There are actually many reasons why. The first and foremost reason is that with a homemade sauce, you can customize the taste to your liking. Nothing is more personalized than a homemade sauce. You can’t do that with store-bought sauces.
The second reason is that store-bought sauces contain lots of taste enhancers and salt. For some people, the contents do not suit them, especially those who need to watch their sodium intake. You don’t need to worry with this if you make the sauce on your own. After all, you can decide how much salt you use for it.
The third reason is that it is a healthier option. You can put vegetables into the sauce, which makes the sauce healthier, and the sauce is always fresh as there is a time limit of how long you can store it. Again, unlike store-bought sauces.
What do you think? Very easy, isn’t it? Now that you know how to make enchiladas sauce, you can always serve delicious enchiladas to your friends and family.