Casserole is identical with cream, cheese, and noodles. And they’re not the considered healthy ingredients. Does it mean there is no way that casserole can be a healthy food? Not really. You will see a very healthy sweet potato casserole recipe below. The recipe will help you making tasty and healthy meal for your beloved family’s dinner.
For some people casserole is a baked dish. But for some others casserole is not always baked. Well, the first opinion is the most famous one. So we’re going to focus on preparing healthy baked casserole right now.
Ingredients for Tasty Sweet Potato Casserole
You will need 30 minutes to prepare the ingredients of the healthy meal below, before start cooking. Ingredients are parts into two divisions.
- 4 cups of sweet potato that has been cubed
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 2 eggs that have been beaten
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of butter that have been softened
- ½ cup of milk
Now prepare ingredient 2:
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 3 tablespoons of butter hat have been softened
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
Now you’re ready to start the making process of sweet potato casserole recipe.
Steps of the Casserole Making
- 1. Preheat your oven first to 165° C or 325° F.
- Place your cubed sweet potato in medium pan and cover it with water. Cook your sweet potato over the medium heat until it tenders. Drain it and mash it.
- Get a large bowl and use it to mix your sweet potato with white sugar, salt, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix them until smooth. Prepare your baking dish (9×13 inch) and transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
- Use medium bowl to mix flour and brown sugar. Make your mixture turns coarse by cut in your softened butter. Then add the pecans to your mixture. Pour this mixture on top of your sweet potato mixture.
- Put it in the oven you’ve been preheated. Bake for 30 minutes. Or you can put the dish out when the topping of casserole turns lightly brown.
- You’re now ready to feed your family with tasty healthy dish.
Nutrition Contained by Sweet Potato Casserole
Why did we say this is a healthy meal for your family? Because this recipe, that will give you 12 servings of sweet potato casserole provide lots of nutrition. Per serving of sweet potato casserole provides 226 calories and 11.1 g total fat with 5 g saturated fat. The cholesterol level of each serving is just 50 mg. Besides, you will get 187 mg of Sodium every time you eat a portion of this casserole.
Another nutrient contained by sweet potato casserole is potassium, which is about 213 mg per serving. The total carbs of this dish per serving is 30.1 g with 1.9 g of dietary fiber. Besides, this dish also provides 2.9 grams of protein, 20 grams of sugar, 1 milligram of Vitamin C, and 43 milligrams of calcium.
Plus, there is 1 milligram of iron, 20 milligrams of magnesium, 1 milligram of niacin, and 17 milligrams of Folate. With those nutrients, this delicious dish you just made will not only make your family smile because of the taste but also keep them healthy.
Understanding Sweet Potato before Making the Casserole
Sweet potato comes in assorted types. Some of them are white, some others are orange, and some even have purple color. Use the purple one to make your casserole looks unique. No matter which color of sweet potato you choose, this ingredient is the best option for casserole. It is because of the vitamin B6, potassium, iron, beta carotene, and vitamins C and E contained by sweet potato.
If you’re buying sweet potato but not going to make sweet potato casserole for few days, you should not keep them in fridge. Refrigerator will make your sweet potato hard in the center and taste weird. Store sweet potatoes in dry and cool container that is also well ventilated. Keep them away from the heat sources.
What do you think about our sweet potato casserole recipe above? You never know how tasty it is before you try making it yourself. So add this recipe to your cookbook and practice it one day.